In contemporary homes and healthcare settings, a raised toilet seat is an invaluable tool that will enhance the practicality and accessibility of standard toilets. This simple yet transformative device is designed to aid those facing mobility challenges, whether temporarily or long-term, ensuring that the act of using the toilet is not only easier but also safer. In this blog we will aim to break down the all-important aspects to consider when choosing the right product.
Essentially, a raised toilet seat is an additional and portable seat that increases the height of a standard toilet seat, typically by 2 to 6 inches (5 to 15 cm). Key features of this device include a secure fitting to the toilet bowl, ease of installation, and compatibility with most standard toilet designs. The raised height significantly reduces the effort required to sit down and stand up for individuals who struggle with mobility.
The market offers a diverse range of raised toilet seats, each tailored to meet different needs and preferences. These options include seats with varying heights, those equipped with or without armrests, options with padded seats for added comfort, and specific designs catering to particular medical conditions or disabilities.
By increasing the height of the toilet seat, the raised toilet seat lessens the distance one must lower or raise themselves, which can be particularly beneficial for those with limited mobility or strength. This adaptation aids in maintaining balance and reducing the risk of falls, thus promoting more independence in personal care.
Benefits of Raised Toilet Seats
Ergonomic Design for Improved User Comfort:
These toilet seats are often designed ergonomically, with contours that support the body’s natural posture. This design consideration helps alleviate discomfort during use, especially for individuals who may spend extended periods on the toilet due to health conditions.
Height Adjustments to Accommodate Individual Needs:
The option to adjust the seat height is a critical feature. It caters to the user’s specific stature and mobility level, reducing excessive strain on the lower body joints, thereby making the act of sitting down and standing up more manageable and less painful.
Aiding Individuals with Joint Problems or Arthritis:
For those grappling with joint issues or arthritis, the reduced need to bend significantly when using a raised toilet seat can lessen joint stress and pain. This is particularly beneficial in preserving joint function and reducing the risk of joint deterioration over time.
Support for Those Recovering from Surgery or Injury:
Recovery from surgery or an injury often involves limited mobility for a period of time. A raised toilet seat can be an essential aid during this period, offering a safe and manageable way to maintain personal hygiene without compromising the healing process.
Tips for Choosing the Right Raised Toilet Seat
Selecting the appropriate raised toilet seat involves a thorough understanding of the user’s specific requirements. Below is a list of tips to consider when choosing the right product:
- Assess the Height Needs: Measure the current toilet seat height and determine how much additional height is needed. This will ensure the raised seat brings the toilet to a comfortable level that reduces strain on the knees and back.
- Consider the User’s Mobility: Evaluate the user’s ability to move and balance. For those who need extra support when transferring to and from the seat, choose a model with armrests. If armrests aren’t necessary, a simpler design may suffice.
- Evaluate the Toilet Shape and Size: Raised toilet seats come in various shapes to fit standard, elongated, or compact toilets. Ensure you pick a design that matches your toilet to avoid instability or improper fit.
- Look for Padding and Materials: A padded seat can provide additional comfort, especially for users who may spend a longer time on the toilet. Also, consider the cleaning and maintenance of materials—smooth, easy-to-clean surfaces are preferable.
- Check Weight Capacity: Ensure the raised toilet seat can support the weight of the user. It’s crucial for safety that the seat is designed to hold the user’s weight without risk of breaking.
- Examine the Locking Mechanism: A secure locking mechanism is vital for stability. Check how the seat attaches to the toilet bowl. It should be easy to lock in place, yet simple to remove for cleaning.
- Portability and Storage: If the user travels or has multiple bathrooms, a portable raised toilet seat might be necessary. Look for lightweight options that can be easily removed and transported as needed.
- Consult with a Healthcare Professional: If possible, get advice from an occupational therapist or another healthcare professional. They can provide insights based on the user’s specific health conditions and needs.
- Read Customer Reviews: Look for feedback from others who have purchased and used the seat. Reviews can provide real-life insights into the durability and usability of the product.
- Additional Features: Some seats come with extra features like splash guards, lid covers, or even bidet attachments. Consider which additional features could improve the user’s comfort and hygiene.
- Ease of Installation: Consider how easy it is to install the seat. Some seats require no tools for installation, while others might be more complex. Remember, the easier it is to install, the more convenient it will be to remove and clean.
Consulting Healthcare Professionals for Personalised Recommendations:
Engaging with healthcare professionals is crucial for obtaining personalised advice when choosing the right product to fit individual needs. At RKMRS, our highly-trained experts can recommend the most suitable type of raised toilet seat based on an individual’s medical history and current physical capabilities.
Examining extra features like armrests for supplementary support, padding for increased comfort, and options that are easily removable for cleaning purposes, can significantly enhance the usability and effectiveness of the raised toilet seat.
In conclusion, the array of benefits offered by a raised toilet seat extends well beyond mere convenience. They epitomise comfort, safety, and independence, particularly for individuals facing mobility challenges. At RKMRS, we are committed to helping you find the most suitable raised toilet seat to enhance your day-to-day life and uphold your dignity in personal care. For more information, contact our friendly and knowledgeable staff today on 08 6109 8016. We also welcome you to come view what we have on offer – visit us at 95 Dixon Road, Rockingham.